University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) is currently temporarily providing blood test services at local off-site locations including at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) and Birmingham New Street Railway Station. This is so that patients have the option, if it is more convenient, of attending their blood test appointments at a location outside of the Trust’s hospitals.
Patients will be notified if they are able to access blood test services at an alternative off-site location when they are contacted by a member of staff at UHB to arrange their appointment.
There will still be the option for patients to attend Heartlands, Good Hope, Queen Elizabeth Birmingham or Solihull Hospital for their blood test.
Drive-through blood testing service (NEC)
Phlebotomy teams at UHB have set up a drive through blood testing service at the NEC in collaboration with Birmingham and Solihull Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
This service allows patients to have their blood tests taken without going into one of the Trust’s hospitals. Contact with others is kept to a minimum, which means that the service is good for those that are currently shielding.
Patients will be able to access the service by appointment only and will be contacted by UHB to be booked into a slot.
When attending their appointment, patients will be required to drive to the NEC, Genting Arena site (not the Nightingale Hospital).
The drive through facility is located at:
Car park S5
Resorts World Arena
A map showing the location of car park S5 within the NEC site is available to download.
- Patients will be asked to show their appointment text message to the security guard at the entrance of the car park
- They will then be asked to proceed to the lanes marked "UHB"
- Once in lane, patients will be met by a member of the UHB team, given a mask and have their details checked
- Patients will then be required to go into the blood test facility to have their blood test
- For adult patients, unless there are specific circumstances where they need to be accompanied, they will be required to go into the cabin alone. Please advise a member of staff if the patient needs to be accompanied
- For children, an adult will be permitted to go into the cabin with the child. Children's appointments will be between 09:00 and 10:00 only
- Once the blood test is completed, patients can drive out
In line with Trust guidance, patients with COVID-19 symptoms are asked not to attend their appointment at the drive through facility. These patients should instead notify the Trust so that a new appointment can be made after 14 days without symptoms.
A list of frequently asked questions and answers is also available, should you have any further queries about this service:
Birmingham New Street railway station
The phlebotomy clinic at Birmingham New Street Railway Station is located at Retail Unit 27, which is close to the Smallbrook Queensway and Bullring station exit.
The service is available to UHB patients by appointment only. Patients will be contacted by UHB to book their blood test appointments.
The UHB New Street Station blood test service is located at:
Retail Unit 27
A map showing the location of the clinic is available to download.