Your feedback is vital to us as we continue to increase the quality of our services.
You are here:
Date: 19 June 2021
Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) compliance
In October 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) published the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the “Order”) following its investigation into the private healthcare industry.
The Order imposed requirements on private hospital operators to disclose certain information in relation to referring clinicians (as defined by the Order) for the benefit of patients. Full details about the investigation and the Order can be found on the CMA website via the link at the end of this page.
The information provided by University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust below is required by the Order.
At University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust we work with our doctors to ensure they can focus on high quality patient care. We supply in depth training and development for all of our staff.
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust provides the following services to consultants and clinicians:
Higher Value Services
Consultants are not charged for using consulting rooms at the hospital sites. Consulting rooms are available on a non-discriminatory basis in accordance with the Order.
- We provide ongoing training and development for all our staff, regardless of whether they see private patients or not, including mandatory training
- We offer services to facilitate efficient patient admission, administration and billing, in line with standard operations within the hospital
- Insurance and indemnity cover in respect of the treatment of National Health Service (NHS) patients
Basic workplace amenities:
- Stationery to the extent that they are available to staff and persons working at the facility generally
- Mail services to the extent that they are available to staff and those working at the facility generally
- Tea, coffee, refreshments and meals to the extent that they are available to staff and those working at the facility generally
General marketing and promotional services to be able to operate, including:
- Production of consultant directories and website profiles (digital and print)
- General promotional events such as hospital based and offsite seminars with Consultant/Health Care Professional speakers
Clinician financial interests
Private hospital operators are required to disclose details of clinicians practicing at their facilities who have a share of financial interest in those facilities. University Hospitals Birmingham has no referring clinicians who fall into this category.
Further information regarding University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust can be seen on the Private Healthcare Information Network website, available via the link below.
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust is not responsible for the contents or the reliability of external websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing should not be taken as endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that links to other websites will work all of the time, and we have no control over the availability of external web pages.