Types of disability leave
Many requests for disability leave are related to appointments or periods of absence to help staff manage their disability, such as the examples below. This is not a definitive list and requests should be judged on a case-by-case basis:
- Treatment related to an employee’s disability
- Hearing aid tests or assessments for conditions such as dyslexia
- Training with a guide or hearing dog
- Counselling/therapeutic treatment or physiotherapy
- Dialysis treatment
- Having equipment services or fittings
- Blood tests for diabetes, cancer or other conditions
- Treatments or tests and expected planned recovery time
It is important for managers to consider and discuss reasonable workplace adjustments with staff and if necessary, take advice from Occupational Health on what reasonable adjustments can be made for the individual.
Individuals can also contact Access to Work at their local Job Centre for more support and advice.