Scroll down

Budgeting and bills

Citizens advice

UHB staff have a fast-track referral pathway to Citizens Advice, guaranteeing a response within 24 hours. Citizens Advice can support with welfare benefits, housing, employment, relationships, money advice, referrals to specialist services, budgeting support and more.

Call: 07851 245004 or email quoting 'COL support for staff - BSOL.'

Debt consolidation

For some staff, debt consolidation can make finances easier to manage. Moving several different areas of debt into one place could reduce the overall monthly repayments, as well reducing stress and worry. It can be tempting to use payday lenders, who will often lend money very quickly but charge very high levels of interest, which can put people in a worse situation.

UHB have partnered with two organisations that can provide responsible loans to staff, including Citysave and Salary Finance. To find out more, see the ‘Saving and loans’ page:


There may be grants available to you from your energy supplier. Visit the Citizens Advice website to find out more: 

Government help

Government help with bills can be found here:

Energy advice

If you own a property in England or Wales, you can get recommendations for home improvements that could make your property cheaper to heat and keep warm.

Visit the government website to find out more:

Warmer homes

Warmer Homes are a local charity, who provide a universal, top-level energy advice service. They are able to support in a number of ways, by offering:

  • A review of household behaviours
  • Support to heating controls and management
  • Home visits – welfare home checks
  • Income support for individuals, including small grants, a benefits review, money management and debt management
  • Fuel vouchers for those on pre-payment meters (when available)
  • Support to apply for other local grants; new windows/doors, solar power, insulation
  • Free small measures to assist energy-saving bulbs, radiator foils, blankets, draught-proofing, electric blankets, plug-in radiators

Find out more and make a referral here:

School uniform swaps

We offer school uniform swaps in our four Wellbeing Hubs across our hospitals. Any member of staff can visit the hub and swap their child’s old uniform (providing it is in good condition) for something that they need. Additionally, colleagues can come and take school uniform items without having to swap anything. There are jumpers, blazers, trousers, and shirts widely available in many sizes.


Dunham McCarthy offer staff a free will writing service.

Find out more and book an appointment here:

Back to top