New parent support (paternity) leave application process
The step by step guide below outlines the process of applying for new parent support (paternity) leave and pay.
The member of staff should notify their manager of their intention to take paternity leave in writing by the following dates:
- A minimum of 15 weeks before the expected week of childbirth or surrogacy
- Within seven days of the primary adopter or partner being matched with a child for adoption
Documentation to be submitted to the manager includes:
- New parent support (paternity) leave application form
- Copy of the MATB1 certificate or
- Birth certificate of the baby or
- Matching certificate or
- Eligibility letter
The manager should acknowledge the request and discuss leave arrangements and entitlements with the member of staff.
The manager will need to confirm leave arrangements in writing and submit a HR2a/ ESR 2 to payroll, along with the leave documentation submitted by the member of staff.
Payroll will process paternity leave and pay on the Trust’s Electronic Staff Records (ESR) system.