Your feedback is vital to us as we continue to increase the quality of our services.
You are here:
Date: 23 September 2020
UHB recognised by Ministry of Defence Awards for support to Armed Forces
Story posted/last updated: 03 September 2020
UHB is one of 22 organisations from across the West Midlands Reserves Forces & Cadets Association (RFCA) region to have been recognised by the Ministry of Defence for their support to the Armed Forces.
West Midland RFCA would like to congratulate all of their region’s winners for achieving their Silver Awards as part of the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS). The organisations are spread across all of the regions counties and come from a wide range of sectors including: education providers, NHS Trusts, charities, local authorities, security firms and the leisure industry.
The region’s winners this year are:
- Academy Transformation Trust
- Almarose Hotels and Resorts Limited
- Ammo and Company Limited
- Atheniem Limited
- Carwood Motor Units
- Citizens Advice Telford and The Wrekin
- Eclipse Strategic Security Limited
- GMS Security Services Limited
- HR4 Limited
- Landau Limited
- Matrix Academy Trust
- Minerva Elite Performance Limited
- MSG Risk Management Limited
- Onions and Davies Solicitors
- SafeLane Global
- Solihull College and University Centre
- Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
- The Surveillance Group Limited
- Traffix Limited
- University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- West Midlands Combined Authority
- YSS Limited (Youth Support Services)
Bobby Birdi, Regional Employer Engagement Director at West Midland RFCA, said: “We are absolutely delighted that these employers in our region have been recognised by the Ministry of Defence for the support they provide to the Armed Forces community.
“From working with Careers Transition Partnership and Forces Families Jobs in recruiting veterans and military spouses, to the respect they show their existing staff members who are Reserves or Cadet Force Adult Volunteers, every employer here has demonstrated the
value they place on the forces community and military experience. They are working examples of the fact that partnering with Defence is good for business.”
Silver award holders must demonstrate a number of positive measures and policies in their organisations which actively support members of the Armed Forces community. This includes veterans, Reservists, Cadet Force Adult Volunteers and their families.
The silver status requires employers to ensure:
- that members of the forces community are not disadvantaged in their recruitment and selection process
- that all positive policies relating to defence personnel are internally publicised
- that they employ at least one individual from the armed forces category that their nomination emphasises
- if required, that they have demonstrated support to Reservist mobilisations
- that they align their values with their Armed Forces Covenant
Commenting on the announcement of the ERS 2020 awards, Johnny Mercer, Minister for Defence People and Veterans said:
“The breadth and diversity of the winners this year shows how business support for the Armed Forces continues to grow no matter the sector, company size or location.
“I am grateful for the positive attitude and flexible policies these organisations have adopted towards the defence community, which is testament to the fantastic contribution our serving personnel, veterans and their families can make to any organisation.
“I am delighted that so many companies are supporting our people and that, through this scheme, we can give them the public recognition they deserve.”
The ERS was launched to recognise and reward employers who support Defence and inspire others to do the same. To find out more about the ERS and the Armed Forces Covenant, please see the "Links" section below.
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust is not responsible for the contents or the reliability of external websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing should not be taken as endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that links to other websites will work all of the time, and we have no control over the availability of external web pages.
Information about travelling to, staying at and getting around the hospital.
Jobs at UHB
A great place to work. Learn why.
Subscribe to our news feed