Skip to main content

Accident and Emergency

The emergency department at Good Hope, Heartlands and Queen Elizabeth hospitals are the places to come if you're in the nearby areas of Birmingham and you have severe injuries or illnesses, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • severe chest pain
  • severe bleeding
  • severe burn or scald
  • severe allergic reaction
  • trouble breathing
  • suspected broken bone

Information: Please note

  • Accident and Emergency at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham does not treat patients under 16 years of age, except in life-threatening situations
  • Our A&E departments do not have the facilities for mental health emergencies. Emergency mental health care is provided by Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust

What to do if you feel unwell

  • Self care

    There are a range of conditions that can be treated at home with the right medication. Examples include sore throats, coughs, colds and mild stomach upsets. See the NHS website for general health advice.

  • Pharmacists

    Pharmacies can provide you with medication for a variety of mild illnesses, including coughs and colds. Pharmacists are also able to offer advice when you are unwell but unsure exactly what may be wrong.

  • GP surgery

    General practitioners (GPs) can offer advice, provide treatment, prescribe medication and refer you to another service if necessary. GPs may be able to offer same-day appointments or home visits if you require more urgent medical help. Alternatively, you can book an appointment.

  • Urgent Treatment Centres

    Our emergency departments (A&Es) are very busy at the moment.

    If you have a minor illness or injury, you may been seen quicker at a local urgent treatment centre.

  • NHS 111

    NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. The service will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and direct you to the right medical care. NHS 111 is available 24/7 as a free-to-use phone number (dial 111) or online service.

  • A&E / calling 999

    You should only attend A&E or call 999 for an ambulance if you or somebody you are with has a very serious or life-threatening injury or illness. It's important to remember that if you require emergency care or treatment you should attend your nearest hospital's Emergency Department.

Specialist help

Dental emergencies

For any emergency dental treatment it is best to contact a local dentist that provides emergency appointment slots.

You can search for dentists near you on the NHS Choices website.

Birmingham Dental Hospital is located off the Bristol Road in Edgbaston, not far from Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. The Dental Hospital provides emergency dental services, but does not offer walk-in appointments. You must call 111 to be assessed for an appointment.

Emergency eye care

The Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre is located within City Hospital and is open for walk-in appointments between 08:30 and 19:00, Monday to Friday.

Outside these times, the City Hospital Emergency Department has facilities to see patients who require urgent eye care.

Children's emergency

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham does not have specific facilities to treat children within its Emergency Department.

Birmingham Children's Hospital's Emergency Department is located on Steelhouse Lane in Birmingham City Centre and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


Birmingham Women's Hospital is located next to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

The Women's Hospital does not have an Emergency Department but does run a pregnancy sickness clinic. Your GP can refer you for an appointment at the clinic.

Sexual health

Umbrella provides sexual health services for Birmingham and Solihull.

Contraception, testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), STI treatment and other sexual health services are available from a range of clinics and other locations across the region.