Your feedback is vital to us as we continue to increase the quality of our services.
You are here:
Date: 12 June 2021
What diseases do we treat?
- The Upper Gastrointestinal department at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) treats benign conditions such as:
- reflux disease, including revisional surgery
- hiatus hernias, including complex/giant hiatus hernias
- diaphragmatic hernias
- gallbladder- and gallstone-related disease
- peptic ulcer disease
- Barrett's oesophagus
- other benign disorders of the oesophagus and hernias
- We are a regional referral centre for the treatment of cancers of the oesophagus (“gullet”) and the stomach
- Our results for oesophagectomy and gastrectomy for cancer are submitted to the National Oesophagogastric Cancer Audit (NOGCA) - see links below
- Our team of surgeons are at the forefront of developing fully keyhole (minimally invasive) surgery for oesophageal and stomach diseases
- We have on-site access to the latest specialist tests, including:
- oesophageal manometry
- 24 hour oesophageal pH studies
- breath tests
- isotope functional studies
- PET CT
- MRI scanning
- Our team provides specialist techniques, including oesophageal or duodenal stent insertion, endoscopic ultra-sound (EUS), endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and radio-frequency ablation (HALO)
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust is not responsible for the contents or the reliability of external websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing should not be taken as endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that links to other websites will work all of the time, and we have no control over the availability of external web pages.