ICE requesting and reporting is a unified platform for primary care requests for pathology and imaging diagnostic tests across all University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) sites.
ICE is integrated within GP practice management systems which makes electronic requesting safer, more streamlined and avoids additional logins or patient searches.
The Pathology team at Heartlands Hospital have been using ICE for many years and its use is now being expanded to include imaging requests.
- Possibility of transcription errors is greatly reduced
- GPs should save time making requests by avoiding the need for additional logins and patient searches
- GPs can access all imaging and pathology reports of their patients held at UHB. This may include hospital attendance episodes that may not have been copied to the GP practice which can be downloaded to the practice database
- GPs can monitor outstanding requests by reviewing the request status in ICE which can be launched from the practice management system
- GPs can remotely access results for their patients from ICE as soon as they are reported to the ICE database
- Streamlining of pathology specimen acquisition and booking imaging scans as the electronic request is sent straight to the hospital laboratory and radiology information systems
Last reviewed: 24 August 2023